Sunday, September 19, 2010

Talking Points #1 Mcintosh "White Privilege

        As I first started to read this article I thought to myself how could there still be so much white privilege in our society today? Reading more into this article I came to realize that there is still white privilege just like there is still male dominance in our society as well. The way that Mcintosh described the list of white privilege and how much she is right is unbeleivable. I am not even somewhat close to racist, and would have never thought that there is still so much white power like she described until you actually do sit down and read the list and make a list of your own. By being white you do have more of an option one where you choose to live and who your neighbors are as well as the race of your neighbors. Just the little things like this still does play a huge role in society and the way people live today.
       If I did not read this article, or the list in this article, I do not think I would beleive anyone if they came up and tried to tell me that white privilege still plays a major role in our society. Until it is actaully broken down like Mcintosh did with using male violence as a similiar preference I would not beleive it is still such a problem today. The only one that I did not agree with as much was when she pointed out that in newspapers or magazines there is always a white person on the front cover. I feel like now because of the famous people such as athletes, or actors this is not entirely true anymore. However, this was the only one that I did not agree upon. She made a valid point with the rest. She also used the male dominace role as a great similarity. My opinion on all of this after reading is that this is still a problem and I feel as if it is something that needs to be improved upon in our society.


http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TG4f9zR5yzY

1 comment:

  1. I also agreed with what she was saying. It was cool to see this from another guys perspective because even the author herself is a female. I think we should all make a list and really see how we as a white race are privileged over other races. I think the problem is that many people do think there is no problem is this country, but your right after reading this article we are really able to see what is out there, and what we can do to change it.

    ReplyDelete