Sunday, November 14, 2010

Talking Points #9 "Kiewer"

Connections:

         Kliewer does remind me and prtray two different articles that we have read in the past. The first that I feel he portrays is Collier and Finn & Oakes. I  will talk a little about how I feel he portrays Collier. In Kliewer's article he talks about the kids being in certain classes considered as special Education. This is because people may beleive they may not be able to do same things as a normal person. I beleive they are right and wrong. They may not be able to do everythign as a normal person, but they certinly can try. They should be given the ability to try and maybe be placed in some classes that will suit them and help them out in life. They are just like everyone else trying to succeed in their goal. Also, it is separted in and out of the classroom by their diabilites. They are either placed in certain classes, or require certain assistance throughout the schoolday. Just like in Colloer, except of them having certain diabilites, they have language barriers. Which may force them to be placed in a different classroom, or recive special treatment. Am I saying they shouldn't be placed in different classrooms? No, I just beleive that every once in a while they should be placed with normal kids and let them learn off of them and with them. It may give them a jump and help them out in life.
        This was the same with Finn and Oakes, but they talk about tracking in the schools. This is like tracking in a way as they are seperated into different calsses by their abilites or disabilities. I feel that if you want every to have the same chance then they should all be given the same chance and treated equal in different ways. There may not always be an answer in public schools. Some students with disabilites may be given better opputunites in different types of schools. Here is a video that talks about different families that goes to special schools and different school in order to help their diabilites to the fullest and help them trying to fit in and be equal. The video will show different parents talking about their children. What I would like to discuss in class is do all schools offer services for students with disabilites?

3 comments:

  1. I liked how you connected this article to that of Finn and Oakes

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like how you connected to Finn and Oakes! I chose to do the same thing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I definitely saw the connection between tracking and the segregation of special needs students too. Nice post.

    ReplyDelete